Saturday, July 4, 2015

Uncropped. Unfiltered. Posted!

One day, I will be brave enough to share photos of our home and our lives, as is. Raw, messy and unedited. Instead, I rush to tidy up, leave out offending piles of toys, crop the bits that make it in, plaster on shiny, happy filters - all before hitting the 'post' button. Gosh, it's exhausting looking pretty on Facebook!

Today, I challenge myself to show you the kitchen counter, as it really looks. Just seeing it, makes my skin crawl.


On it are:

Kiddie books
A toy steamroller
My sunglasses
A cup of yesterday's orange juice
My headphones
Adil's gummy bears
Mosquito spray
A big box of my vitamins
Car keys
My iPad
Old, ugly paper towel
Snack cup with cheerios
Shoe polish (?!!)
Adil's video monitor
An empty baggie
Fishing rod from toddler game
House keys
Random things, behind redeeming vase of flowers
Metal Eiffel Tower that doesn't belong on counter

This is life with a two-year-old. It's all-over-the-place and maddeningly disorganized. But it's also joyful, silly, spontaneous and whole-hearted. 

This is my life, today.

2 comments:

  1. And will be for many years more! Deepa, I always battle with the Shall I Tidy Up or Not question. On the one hand, it takes awayuch energy that I would rather expend in doing such more exciting stuff. On the other, the mess can over power you and leave you feeling helpless. Also, clearing up is a task that helps soothe, like ironing, if you look at it carefully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that I know who my real friends are because I don't feel like I need to clean up before they come over!

    Also, love those Gruffalo and Trucks Go books, Abram loved them too. Have you come across "Trucks Roll" yet? A poem disguised as a book about trucks.

    ReplyDelete