Thursday, July 2, 2015

I blog, therefore I am

Motherhood made me invisible. From the moment of his birth, so consumed was I, by my brand new little love, that I unabashedly handed him my entire heart, mind and soul. Our identities were seamlessly linked and I became Adil's Amma - an inexperienced but earnest, involved but overwhelmed mom, racked with guilt, second-guessing and self-doubt.


Two-and-a-half-years later, I still feel inept and uncertain. It appears to be built-in to the design of parenthood - of bringing up a moving target. Just when a skill seems within reach, your toddler throws you a curve ball, leaving you totally out of breath - like totally not eating, one week, or throwing toys at you, the next (possibly because he's just so hungry from all that self-starvation).

Tonight, as I lie by Adil, soothing the shooting pains, from his growing knees, I decide it's time to begin my blog. To be visible, again. To evoke the person I once called myself, who most likely no longer exists. Perhaps, to make friends with the me I've become, since?

I must really need this space - to be willing to confront critics and trolls, and more terrifyingly, to brave the voices in my own head, mocking me for becoming 'another-mommy-blogger-with-nothing-original-to-say'.

He's fast asleep, now. I'm writing, again.

Hello, Amma Deepa Kamath! I'm looking forward to getting to know you, again.

1 comment:

  1. The first line made tears well up in my eyes, you nailed it, motherhood, identity, struggle, for me anyhow, thank you, keep it up

    ReplyDelete