Sunday, July 19, 2015

Going potty

They say that the best time to begin potty training, is when your toddler shows signs of readiness. Here's the sign that Adil showed me, when I first put out his little potty, a year ago:


The photo prompted hilarious comments on Facebook. "He needs a laxative. He's all blocked up", quipped one friend. "What are you feeding him? Looks like an overflow of knowledge", joked my uncle.

I, myself, was deeply relieved that Adil wasn't interested, because I was far from ready. The very thought of potty training, struck untold terror, in the very depths my heart.

In the months since, we've made feeble attempts at it, but have been met with various forms of resistance. I recently found a yellow submarine in my toilet, conveniently submerged with a butterfly net, I then used to fish it out. Last week, Adil tossed my favorite earrings into the pot, with a gleeful glint in his eye.


Scarred by our scatalogical misadventures, or lack thereof, I have accepted that you can take the boy to potty, but you can't make him poop. When I finally, FINALLY got Adil to do "it" in his potty, for the very first time, he looked at it, proudly, and asked me, "Amma, what is that?! Is it a flower?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment