Monday, August 7, 2017

Don't Mess with My Breasts



Sometimes it takes getting cancer, to discover that your breasts don't belong to you. That they never did. That they're politically and sexually-charged lightening rods, dominated by public discourse. That every single human-being, on earth, has an opinion on their purpose, their appearance and their relevance. But I'm done.

Today, I'm reclaiming my breasts.

I'm a feminist, but my breasts do not belong to my sisters in the resistance.
I've nursed my baby, but my breasts do not belong to the pro-breastfeeding movement.
I've been leered at, but my breasts do not belong to the misogynist male gaze.
I belong with my husband, but by breasts aren't his to own.

Yesterday, I decided that I want to have breast reconstruction, after my mastectomy. It's a long, brutal surgery, with an arduous and painful recovery. It's a hard choice, but, again, the right choice for me.

I'm not doing it for my sisters, my son, my partner, or the man on the street.

I'm doing it because I love my breasts. Because I like their shape and feeling and meaning. And at the end of it all, I'll get fabulous, forward-facing breasts, that no longer stare at my toes.

So, today, I've officially reclaimed my breasts. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! No one really understands until they have to go through this themselves. A male friend asked me recently why I was willing to go through all the pain and recovery to have breasts. The short answer is "because I like my boobs. They make me happy." No other reason need be given.

    ReplyDelete